From December 15th, 2016:
Congratulation! From December 15th, 2016 all visa categories (1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year tourist visa and business visa) for US citizens has been restored. Now US travelers will have multiple option instead of only 1 year multiple entry tourist visa option as before.
August 30th, 2016
From August 30th, 2016 all Vietnam tourist visa for United States travelers will be automatically and mandatory converted into 1 year multiple entry visa with maximum 90 days duration allowed of each visit. [This rule has been revoked from December 15th, 2016]. For those who wish to stay more than 90 days are compelled to do visa run (or in-country visa extension) or select business visa instead. 1 year business visa will give United States travelers a continuous stay for 1 year without leaving the country for a visa run or extending current visa.
Vietnam immigration policies regulated that all the United States citizens are required a visa to travel Vietnam for purposes of tourism, business, family visit or study. Those transiting at Vietnamese airports and not crossing immigration area do not need the visa. Besides, the visitors travel Phu Quoc Island are exempted from visa if staying there no more than 30 days. This is just applicable for those who travel to Phu Quoc Island only, not go to other parts of Vietnam.
From United States, the travelers can apply for Vietnam visa by 2 options:
1. Apply for Vietnam visa at the Vietnam Embassy in United States
If you are living or residing not far from Vietnam Embassy or Consulates in United States and having much free time you should choose this way to obtain full visa to Vietnam before the departure. For those who travel Vietnam by train, bus or cruise ship are also recommended to apply for Vietnam visa by this way as Vietnam visa on arrival is applicable for air entry only.
The process of Vietnam visa applied at the Vietnam Embassy in United States:
- Step 1: Complete the visa application form provided by the Vietnam Embassy or Consulates in United States;
- Step 2: Submit the application form, original passport, 01 passport-sized photo, visa fee at the embassy. You can submit the documents in person or send by post;
- Step 3: Receiving your visa at the Vietnam Embassy or by post after 5 – 7 working days;
2. Apply for Vietnam visa on arrival via www.visumvietnamonline.com
Vietnam visa on arrival is a legitimate alternative to obtaining a full visa from the Vietnam Embassy or Consulates mentioned above. It is beneficial for those who are living far from the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate and traveling Vietnam by air. Learn more how visa on arrival works.
When applying for Vietnam visa on arrival, there is no extra documents or original passport required. The applicants just need to fill out the online application form, conduct payment and receive a letter of approval issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department at a given time. A full visa will be stamped onto their passport upon arrival airport in Vietnam.
The process of Vietnam visa on arrival:
- Step 1: Fill out the online application form;
- Step 2: Conduct payment with credit cards (or debit cards), PayPal, Western Union or bank wire transfer;
- Step 3: Get the visa approval letter delivered via email within 2 working days (normal processing) or 1 working day (urgent processing) or even 2 hours (emergency processing);
- Step 4: Pay the stamping fee and obtain full visa upon arrival airport in Vietnam.
There are some differences between Vietnam visa on arrival and traditional visa. However, once issued they have exactly same validity and condition of use:
|Description||Visa on arrival||Traditional visa|